Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bakersfield in Ashes: The Great Fire of 1889

As promised, here is my power point presentation from this morning's talk at the Beale Memorial Library - Bakersfield in Ashes: The Great Fire of 1889. I am still working out some kinks with the presentation as it appears online so I may be tweaking it in the next few days. Let me know if you have any ideas. Also, I do not own the rights to the images so I put a "X" across the images to protect me as well as you. Enjoy! Follow this link: Bakersfield in Ashes: The Great Fire of 1889

3 comments:

  1. Great slideshow. Would it be possible to have the Sanborn maps as PDF's? If so I would think I could zoom in to read the building names and place the locations of the men, pumps etc during the fire.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, Thanks! I got the maps from the Los Angeles Public Library. You need one of their library cards, which are free for CA residents but you need to apply in person, to access the online database, but it is fabulous!http://databases.lapl.org/index.php?id=8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning, graphic presentation of the progress of the great fire and its correspondence to contemporary map. First-class research. Thank you for putting it together and posting on line.

    ReplyDelete