Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Empty Space

I was at the Empty Space Theatre at 706 Oak Street last week to view a performance by my sister-in-law's sister. Before the show, a few of us were sitting around discussing what they Empty Space was before it was the Empty Space. My brother made the off-hand comment that we will probably never know. Well, I accepted that challenge, and tonight I am in the Beale Library doing a little bit of research.

Taking for granted that 706 Oak Street has always been 706 Oak Street, which is a bit iffy I know, I found that the space has had quite a few occupants over the years. The building appears to have been built about 1969-1970. Unfortunately, 706 Oak Street is not listed on the county assessor's website. It is kind of lumped in with 700 Oak Street, which they claim was built in 1948 with several remodels. Incidentally, Pizzaville USA is at 700 Oak Street, and it's been there since at least 1967. I think I need to go have a slice of that historic pizza.

Anyway, the 1970 city directory has the first listing for 706 Oak Street, and it lists Metro Audio Muzak (yes, "Muzak" as it was the '70s) as the resident. Over the years, Lost Hills Wine Co, West Coast Beauty Supply, and Body of Christ Church have also occupied the space. Needless to say, the Empty Space hasn't been empty!

Oh, and my sister-in-law's sister's performance was excellent. It was a one-woman show that wove three stories in exploration of the meaning of home: one story was about a tortoise who went on an adventure without her shell; another was about a woman who finds a tortoise in the ruins of a house and discovers that she is like the tortoise; and the third was about a Londoner who loses herself in the city in order to find her way back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment